Mac OS X Internals: The Book Forum Index Mac OS X Internals: The Book
Forums

SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Mission Statement | Rules | Terms of Forum Use       osxbook.com | Blog

WHY Adobe reader for eBook ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mac OS X Internals: The Book Forum Index -> The Book
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChairWalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: WHY Adobe reader for eBook ? Reply with quote

I feel this is such a silly question but, currently running Tiger, I never had to download a reader to read a PDF document. Why can't I buy the eBook and just read it without Tiger's default reader (Preview) ?

I found your site/book 3 hours ago and I went to every section of this site (and spent my whole evening on osxbook.com). One thing is sure: I'm getting a copy of the book, either an electronic or paper copy.

Just can't wait.
xorandor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WHY Adobe reader for eBook ? Reply with quote

ChairWalker wrote:
I feel this is such a silly question but, currently running Tiger, I never had to download a reader to read a PDF document. Why can't I buy the eBook and just read it without Tiger's default reader (Preview) ?

The eBook is encrypted and cannot be read using Preview.
danchr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: WHY Adobe reader for eBook ? Reply with quote

xorandor wrote:

I have no idea how PDF encryption works, but no DRM scheme is unbreakable, so if you can view it, you should be able to convert it to a format suitable for Preview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
xorandor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: WHY Adobe reader for eBook ? Reply with quote

danchr wrote:
xorandor wrote:

I have no idea how PDF encryption works, but no DRM scheme is unbreakable, so if you can view it, you should be able to convert it to a format suitable for Preview.

Not that I support DRM (I wish the eBook is just sold as a plain PDF), but doesn't that converted copy become illegal to even own?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mac OS X Internals: The Book Forum Index -> The Book All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: