Mac OS X Internals: The Book Forum Index Mac OS X Internals: The Book
Forums

SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Mission Statement | Rules | Terms of Forum Use       osxbook.com | Blog

eBook from Amazon unreadable on Intel-Macs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mac OS X Internals: The Book Forum Index -> The Book
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xorandor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: eBook from Amazon unreadable on Intel-Macs Reply with quote

Just purchased the eBook version of Mac OS X Internals and then realised (too late) that it can't be read on Intel-based Macs because the Adobe Reader doesn't seem to work on Intel-based Macs. When the eBook link file is opened to be activated/downloaded, it gives up with an error: "Cannot find EDB database." Sad

In the end, I had to reboot my MBP into Windows in order to read the book. Ugh.

Anyone with a solution to this problem?
xorandor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, found a solution to this problem. Instead of downloading Adobe Reader 7, use version 6 instead, and update it to 6.0.3. The book can be read, but window/panel-resizing is slow and scrolling causes flashes on-screen to appear due to Rosetta. But at least it works eh?

According to some rumors, Adobe Reader 8 will be a universal binary and is expected to appear at Q4 2006, so hopefully, this workaround won't need to persist for too long.
amit
Amit Singh
Amit Singh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorandor wrote:
Ok, found a solution to this problem. Instead of downloading Adobe Reader 7, use version 6 instead, and update it to 6.0.3. The book can be read, but window/panel-resizing is slow and scrolling causes flashes on-screen to appear due to Rosetta. But at least it works eh?

According to some rumors, Adobe Reader 8 will be a universal binary and is expected to appear at Q4 2006, so hopefully, this workaround won't need to persist for too long.

Glad you found a solution, otherwise it would be quite ironic if "Mac OS X Internals" can't be read on Mac OS X.

I am not familiar with the eBook version myself though. I requested a copy from the publisher, but haven't received it yet.

Amit
shayaan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought the eletronic copy

Thanks. I'll buy the hard copy instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mac OS X Internals: The Book Forum Index -> The Book All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: